Monday, 30 April 2012

Primero dia en Buenos Aires

Hola todos

Just got back form our first BA outing!! Since it is Sunday here and all the shops were closed, we hit the local markets to see the local arts and crafts, as well as listen to some great music. Two markets were on today.

First we went to San Telmo to the antique market. Lovely things to buy, but they would not fit in my suitcase so didn't pick anything up. A local guitar trio were playing at the markets though, which were fantastic, and there were accompanied by a couple of tango dancers. They were so good that i have now made it my lifes ambition to somehow convince Steve that dancing the tango with me is an excellent idea!

After San Telmo and walking around the Plaza Major, we walked to Recoletta, the trendy part of town. Had lunch at Cafe Victoria, where we experienced our first "limonada" (I thought I was ordering a sprite, but instead got lemon juice which you added mineral water and sugar too until it was the right dilution) and realized that the old school ways of a serving a couple, I.e. relying on the male to order and pay the bill, was not dead. Unfortunately since Steve speaks no Spanish besides the occasional "si" and "gracias" it fell to me to do all the work. Not bad, if I do say so myself!

After lunch we walked around the craft markets in Recoletta (got myself a pair of earrings) then we went to the Recoletta cemetery and got a private tour from one of the local tour guides. This cemetery houses hundreds of moseleums, of varying levels of grandeur, and is home to the most important names in Argentina's history, including Evita. There was such a crowd in front of her moseleum though, so we were only there for a minute!

Completely zonked, we then walked the thousand blocks back to the hostel and Steve is currently having a nap while I write to you. We plan to go out for dinner soon, location yet unknown. We are hoping to do a bike tour of BA tomorrow.

Until next time, hasta pronto!

2 comments:

  1. Precioso Julie! ¿Cómo estás? Estoy tan feliz de escuchar el viaje va bien hasta ahora. Ahora voy a decir "tortuga"

    The above is from an online translation site... I do not take responsibility for its accuracy and/or offensiveness!

    BA sounds amazing, so I have decided to live vicariously through you. Looking forward to seeing lots of photos, perhaps in a slide show format with popcorn and Hanson providing the soundtrack music? Oh speaking of food, how has the food been? Anything controversial and daring served up and consumed yet?

    Work has not been the same without you. I sigh and no one responds.... wait a minute.... *sigh*

    Love the blog - hope you keep writing updates. Be safe and have fun!

    Amrita x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe your such a dork. Wait wait wait..... *sigh*!!!

      Will ensure that you get a front row seat at the first showing of Julie and Stephen's adventures in SA! May leave the Hanson music at home though!

      I would love to say that we have eaten all sorts of daring things, but alas, BA seems to only want serve us up pizza! There are pizza shops everywhere! We are walking for miles just to avoid them!!! There is this breakfast spread we are trying to figure out though! It smells like peanut butter but has the consistency of honey! Very strange.

      Hope all is going well at work? Wish I could say I miss it, but alas I do not.

      Have a good last couple of weeks with the after hours team! Talk when I get back!

      Delete