Sunday, 29 April 2012

Bienvenida de Buenos Aires

Hola todos!

Greetings from Buenos Aires!

The flight from Sydney to Santiago was 13 hours long, in which time I was able to polish off 5 movies, all of varying qualities! Steve got no sleep at all on this flight, and I only managed to get 20 minutes. We don't sleep well sitting up. It was a pretty good flight though. I swear every few minutes (ok, a slight exaggeration) the Qantas staff was offering us more food! Lost count of the number of snacks I consumed. Oh if my gym buddies could see me now.

We arrived in Santiago, Chile, at around 9:30-10 and had to wait until 3:10 for our connecting flight to BA. We spent the time wandering aimlessly and passing out (by accident) on the extremely uncomfortable chairs (I was cuddling my bag pretty close to me, I can assure you). 

I got to try out my spanish for the first time at Santiago airport while ordering our lunch and a coffee. I thought I did pretty well until the nice lady told me how much it was going to cost, and all the spanish numbers just fell out of my head.  In the end I just looked at her dumbly and she helped me pay the right amount... at least I think it was the right amount :-S

When we finally got on the plane to BA we were sat next to a nice American man, who was really friendly, but again we passed out for about an hour, and I only came to when the staff were handing out the Argentina customs paperwork (worst... forms... ever...)

When we finally got off the plane, and through the maze of customs, we got a private car to take us to our hostel. Its actually surprisingly nice!! Great room, free internet, and a kitchen where Paulo (the owner) says we can eat whatever we like.

Had dinner at a pizza place next door to the hostel. It is a bit drizzly and dark in BA, and we didn't want to go searching for that true Argentinian food, so pizza it was. Again, tried out some spanish with the waiters, but got more looks like 'is this girl serious?' rather than happy smiles. Maybe tomorrow!

Off to bed now before I fall asleep on the key board.

Until next time, hasta pronto

4 comments:

  1. Exactly what happened when I tried my Italian in Italy. They just looked at me with an expression of either pity or contempt and insisted I speak English. Glad to hear you arrived safely. That 13 hour flight across the Pacific is really the pits, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guys. Just thought I'd let you know that I'm reading your blog too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just looking at the pictures... wait, there aren't any!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have only been here for a few hours! Wait until the sun rises at least!

      Delete